Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations - Award (PLA)
About this course
This qualification prepares candidates for the initial verification and periodic inspection of electrical installation work.
It is aimed at practising electricians who have not carried out inspection and testing since qualifying or who require some update of training. The qualification is also suitable for those with limited experience of initial inspection and periodic inspection of electrical installations who wish to reaffirm their skills.
This FREE course is only available to adults that are eligible for a Personal Learning Account (PLA). Personal Learning Accounts, funded by the Welsh Government, are available to employed adults living in Wales that wish to develop skills to progress or change career.
Find out if you're eligible today.
What you will study
This qualification aims at the specialist knowledge and skills you need, including appropriate legislation, inspection and testing techniques, completing and issuing certificates or reports and understanding of results and measurements.
Assessment will be through a multiple-choice on-line test and a practical task.
The 5 main outcomes of the course that will be covered are:
- Understand the requirements for inspection and testing
- Understand safety management procedures when undertaking inspection and testing
- Understand the requirements for the inspection of electrical installations
- Understand the requirements for the testing of electrical installations
- Perform inspection and testing of electrical installations.
You will be taught in a classroom and workshop environment to develop your knowledge and practical skills.
For successful completion you will need to complete an online multichoice test and a practical assignment.
The course will give you the knowledge and practical skills required to complete Electrical Installation Condition Reports.
It will also give you the opportunity to progress on to the Level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations. To gain knowledge and understanding of the requirements to consider when design, erecting and verifying electrical installations.
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £0.00
Candidates must be 18+ years of age. It would be expected that candidates have a basic knowledge and understanding of electrical science and principles and experience of electrical installation work either within the electrical contracting industry or an allied trade.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know