Award in Food Safety (PLA)
About this course
This course primarily focuses on the needs of food handlers in catering, manufacturing or retail setting where food is prepared, cooked and handled.
It teaches the food handler to take responsibility for personal hygiene, food safety procedures and to receive, store and prepare food safely.
What you will study
This course covers:
• Kitchen design and layout
• Food poisoning
• Safe food storage
• Temperature control
• Hygiene and cleaning
• Refrigeration and chilling of foods
• Cooking, hot holding and re-heating of foods
Assessment is via a formal multiple-choice examination paper. This qualification is valid for three years.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
The course has opened loads of opportunities for me – I got to the semi-finals of the Nestle Torgue d’Or and won in Skills Competition Wales and will compete in WorldSkills UK. This course has made me really excited for my future.