CAVC Cricket Academy provides the perfect platform for talented cricketers aged 16-19 who have an interest in performance and elite level cricket.
Partnered with Glamorgan Cricket, our CAVC Cricket Academy provides the facilities, coaching, contacts and unrivalled wrap-around support that enables you to reach your potential.
The programme has developed a reputation and track record for growing and developing talent in Glamorgan and Wales as well members achieving academically.
What can we offer you?
The right balance
- Your teachers and coaches work together to ensure your studies and your sports commitment don’t conflict. We create the right balance for you to reach your potential in both.
A track record of success
- Many current and former players have been selected for Wales age grade cricket and Welsh Colleges. The Cricket Academy also has an excellent track record of members progressing to university to continue their study and sport.
- We have had 6 college students selected for the Welsh colleges team.
- Sophia Gardens, one of the UK’s most prestigious test match grounds is home to Glamorgan Cricket and is the base for our Academy.
- Gethin Jenkins High Performance Gym at our City Centre Campus is one of the best facilities of its kind for developing strength and conditioning.
- Cardiff International Sports Campus (CISC): top class facilities including an extensive gym to support training all year round.
- Accommodation is available for students from further afield wishing to join CAVC and one of our academies.
Professional expert coaching
- Professional cricket coaching every week.
- Expert coach including Level 3 Head of Cricket with over 10 years’ experience in a professional cricketing environment.
Professional strength and conditioning and wraparound support
- Strength and Conditioning Coach supporting an individualised programme of development for each player.
- Advice on nutrition and psychology.
- Team and individual performance analysis.
- Competitive fixtures, playing teams from colleges and schools across Wales and England.
- Participation in tournaments and indoor leagues, including the Welsh Colleges’ Indoor League.
- The only academy of its kind partnered with Glamorgan Cricket, benefiting player profile, opportunities and progression.
- Established progression pathways including to leading sports universities, representing high profile university teams nationally.
- A supportive environment that allows you to continue playing domestic cricket with your chosen club.
Adam Harrison - Head Coach
The Academy is led by Adam Harrison who is a former professional cricketer for Glamorgan County Cricket club. His career spanned from 2003-2008 during which time he only managed to play three First Class, three List A and three 20/20 matches before a persistent ankle injury forced him to retire aged just 22. During this time Harrison represented England u13s to u19s, a period which included two world cups, three home test series and an overseas tour of India. Harrison was also selected as a part time student on England’s elite Academy programme at their training base in Loughborough during the winter of 2004/5.
Since his retirement, Adam has gained a First-Class Honors degree and a PGCE and has worked in Education for seven years, three of which delivering and managing a successful BTEC Level 3 Sports programme at Glamorgan County Cricket Club. Adam is also an experienced assessor for Pearson’s education as a Lead Standards Verifier of Sport.
In addition to his playing and educational experience Adam is also an experienced Level 3 Performance coach and has worked with various club, regional and national squads.
Start dates available
"I really enjoy coming to college every day. The opportunities the Cricket Academy provides you with are unique. Alongside studying, the facilities are amazing, and you are training next to Glamorgan Cricket professionals on a regular basis. Having Sophia Gardens as our base I find inspirational: often there is a game on whilst we are there during the summer term!
It’s a great experience and a great opportunity to enhance and develop your cricket skills and improve fitness while getting an excellent qualification. Going into my final year, I am looking forward to carrying out some work experience with Glamorgan’s Performance Analyst which will give me a good start before applying and progressing on to Cardiff Metropolitan University to study Performance Analysis".
"I first heard about the cricket academy through some friends at my cricket club who were already part of it.
I’ve always had a passion for sport and cricket and studying my course has allowed me to study what I enjoy and it allows me to progress to university. I can also train and develop my cricket in some of the best cricketing facilities in the world, as well as giving me the opportunity to use some of the best equipment available. Also, the level of teaching, coaching and support you receive is second to none.
I am now progressing onto Cardiff Metropolitan University to study Sport and Exercise Science.".