Technical & Production Practice - Professional Diploma (Film & Photography)
About this course
The 1-year diploma in technical and production Practice provides students with an in-depth introduction to the craft of lens-based media production and an insight into the media industry. Students will learn skills in professional grade camera operation and post production software, work on industry led briefs, gain insight into various media companies and their operational structure and devise and develop their own media-based projects.
The course allows learners to work on briefs while focusing on their own personal professional development & areas of interest. Students can choose a particular pathway to focus on i.e. Photography or Film & TV Production
What you will study
Unit 1 Establishing principles of technical and production practice; Unit 2 Applied professional practice; Unit 3 professional development project. Assessment is portfolio based.
Students will learn through a series of practical workshops, guest lectures from industry professionals and project-based assessments.
Dependent on which pathway you chose, you will have training in:
Avid Media Composer*
Avid Pro Tools*
Adobe Creative Suite
Blackmagic 4K URSA & 6K Pocket Cinema cameras
Working with industry
Script writing and story development
Canon DSLR Cameras
Documentary photography and filming techniques
Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom
* Students have the potential to gain professional qualification in Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools however there may be an additional cost to sit the exam.
Course fee per year
Studio Fees: £65.00
Recommended that applicants have 5 x GCSE at grade C or above, including Math and English and 1 x A level or equivalent Level 3 qualification. However, applicants can be accepted based on an interview and portfolio submission at the discretion of the course leader. You must be 18+ years of age.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
The course will provide learners with a portfolio of work that will enable them to apply for a university course on a range of pathways from film production to photography, media and marketing. Alternatively, students will have the skills to develop a freelance career or gain employment within the industry.
My highlight of this course is learning to sew and being able to explore all of the themes that I wanted to and producing a really cool cowboy project. My plans after college are to go to Brighton University and study fashion design and business studies so that I can then go on to potentially own a store. This course allowed me to find my specialty and, with the support from my tutors, I was able to learn and refine my skills.
Need to know