About this course
This is intended for post-16 learners who want to continue their academic studies alongside their regional/elite sports performance commitments. Regular engagement and successful completion of this course will ensure learners' gain greater knowledge and understanding into what's required to become an elite sport performer, whilst also having a direct and positive impact on their own performance. A blended learning model will be used so that all learners can fully engage in the learning process, from our sports campus or online anywhere in the world. The breadth of the optional content in the qualification allows learners to widen their progression opportunities, into a range of different higher-education courses or straight into employment.
What you will study
Year 1 Modules:
• A – Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry (90 GLH)
• B – Health, Wellbeing and Sport (90 GLH)
• C3 – Professional Sports Performer (180 GLH)
• 4 – Nutrition for Physical Performance (60 GLH)
• 23 – Psychology for Professional Sports Performance (60 GLH)
• 11 – Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport (60 GLH)
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language and/or Maths (or equivalent) or relevant Level 2 qualification in Sport
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My highlight of the college has to been meeting people who have just as much of passion for sport as myself, and the facilities. I really enjoy the practical sessions that we do on the course, including the sport coaching, research methods and human anatomy.
Career prospects & further study
Following this one-year extended certificate, progression onto the diploma or extended diploma in Sporting Excellence and Performance.