About this course
This Level 1 BTEC qualification is designed to help learners understand the skills and knowledge needed to work within different sectors of the Sports and Leisure industry. You will be required to participate in a wide range of sport and active leisure activities including field sports and gym based sessions.
You will have the opportunity to represent the college by joining our sports academies including football, rugby, basketball and netball.
We have access to the sports facilities at Cardiff International Sports Campus which includes a fully equipped gym, an outdoor 3G pitch and outdoor pitches. We also have access to the facilities across the road at Cardiff City House of Sport.
You will be required to purchase moulded football boots before commencing this course, in order to take part in practical sessions, which is an essential part of the course. You may be eligible for support with these costs. Please contact us for further information.
What you will study
The Level 1 Diploma units may include:
- How exercise affects the body
- Training for fitness
- Playing Sport
- Assisting in a sports activity
- Working with others
- Being organised
- Developing a personal progression plan
- Coaching skills
3 GCSEs Grades A* - E or Equivalent
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My highlight of the college has to been meeting people who have just as much of passion for sport as myself, and the facilities. I really enjoy the practical sessions that we do on the course, including the sport coaching, research methods and human anatomy.
Career prospects & further study
Students who have previously studied this course often progress to the Level 2 Diploma in Sport. Another pathway our students chose is the Level 2 Health, Fitness and Well-being course for those who want to follow a slightly different route and are interested in gym instructing and personal training. Progression to Level 3 Sport studies can lead to studying sports courses at university including sports rehabilitation and massage and further job opportunities in the sports sector including the coaching sector.
Need to know