About this course
The aim of this qualification is to provide those learners who have an interest in fitness, health and gym related activities with the additional knowledge to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a Fitness Instructor.
This course will also allow you to progress onto the Personal Training qualification at Level 3 (Practitioner). As well as the certificate in Gym instructing, you will also achieve YMCA Level 2 Award in Engaging Children and Young People in Sport and Physical Activity and YMCA Level 2 Certificate in Group Exercise Instructing: Circuit Training.
You will be required to purchase molded football boots before commencing this course, in order to take part in practical sessions, which is an essential part of the course. You may be eligible for support with these costs. Please contact us for further information.
This course is for...
- Individuals aged 19+
- Those wishing to progress on to further learning within the health and fitness or active leisure sectors
What you will study
To achieve your YMCA Level 2 Diploma in Gym Instructing You must complete the following units. This qualification is endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the management of sport and physical activity (CIMSPA). You will learn about:
• Anatomy and physiology for exercise and fitness instructors
• Providing a positive customer experience in the exercise environment
• Lifestyle management and health awareness
• Understanding employment within the health and fitness sector
• Developing self
• Mental health awareness and support
• Working with inactive people
• Working in the community to promote and deliver physical activity programmes
• Principles of engaging children and young people in sport and physical activity
• A basic understanding of safeguarding and protecting children and young people
• Planning sport and physical activity for children and young people
• Delivering sport and physical activity for children and young people
• Gym-based programme planning and preparation • Gym-based programme delivery and professional instruction
• Principles of planning and delivering group exercise
• Plan and deliver group circuit training
• 2 hrs of Essential Skills weekly (or GCSE resit)
• 1 hr E-Tutorial and Tutorial weekly
Learners will make use of the fantastic facilities at both CISC and House of Sport over the duration of the course. Gym facilities and equipment available for all on course practical delivery.
4 GCSEs Grades A* - D. English Language and/or Maths (or equivalent) desirable or relevant Level 1 Diploma in Sport or relevant industry-related experience.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Over the past 2 years Matt and Wes have helped me develop my love for fitness into a full-time career and hobby. They have helped turn in my passion and enthusiasm into a successful business where I can comfortably and professionally work with clients of all types. I really would like to thank them both for sticking with me throughout, and helping me become the PT I am today.
Career prospects & further study
This course will also allow you to progress onto the Personal Training qualification at Level 3 (Practitioner).
Need to know