About this course
The Spanish AS programme is a one-year course of study and is suitable for students wishing to further their existing knowledge of Spanish, developing all four skills - speaking, listening, reading and writing. Based at out City Centre campus in Cardiff, this course will provide an insight into the cultural aspects of Spanish speaking countries, as well as providing opportunities for students to explore contemporary issues. In addition, learners will have access to a range of multi-media and IT resources, and there will be a chance to develop oral skills with native Spanish speakers.
What you will study
This course comprises of the following topic areas:
- Leisure and Lifestyles
This includes: travel and tourism, sport, hobbies, entertainment, customs, traditions, healthy living (health and nutrition, diet and exercise), unhealthy living (drugs, AIDS, smoking, alcohol etc).
- The Individual and Society
This includes: relationships and responsibilities, gender issues, youth culture (values, peer groups, fashion and trends etc), education, vocational training and future careers.
This programme is assessed by examination covering the four language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. Students will sit two exams - SN1 (oral) and SN2 (listening, reading and writing).
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £60.00
Course Fee: £460.00
A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade A* - C to include English and Spanish (Spanish preferably at Grade B or higher). Mature learners without these qualifications may be accepted after an interview with the subject tutor.
17:45 - 20:45 Wednesday
Teaching and assessment
- Two exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know