About this course
This AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) Foundation course is an entry-level bookkeeping qualification, ideal for anyone who is seeking an introduction to basic bookkeeping principles and skills. This course is delivered in partnership with Mindful Education.
Online video lectures are available on demand, and can be viewed from your phone, tablet or computer, meaning you can choose how, when and where you want to study. Each lesson lasts around 45 minutes and is accompanied by animations and motion graphics to bring concepts to life. Exercises, interactive case studies and analytical tools help to enhance the learning experience further.
The tutor will provide support, guidance on progress and assessments.
This FREE course is only available to adults that are eligible for a Personal Learning Account (PLA). Personal Learning Accounts, funded by the Welsh Government, are available to employed adults living in Wales that wish to develop skills to progress or change career.
Find out if you're eligible today.
What you will study
This short course, studied over four months, will equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to manage books effectively – including double entry bookkeeping, and associated documents and processes, up to Trial Balance standard.
On successful completion of the course, you will be awarded an AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping. This internationally recognised AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification enables those working in accounting or those who looking to pursue accountancy as a career to gain knowledge, practical experience and the all-important certification often sought by employers.
This qualification can be used as a fast track to the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting.
Units of Study
- Bookkeeping Transactions
- Bookkeeping Controls
- Understand financial transactions within a bookkeeping system
- Process customer transactions
- Process supplier transactions
- Process receipts and payments
- Process transactions through the ledgers to the trial balance
- Understand controls in a bookkeeping system
- Use control accounts
- Use the journal
- Reconcile a bank statement with the cash book
You will also develop business communications and lifelong learning skills, applying what you learn on the course to the wider industry context.
This course is assessed through a total of two computer-based exams, one taken at the end of each unit.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to higher levels of the AAT Accounting Qualification (Level 3 and then on to Level 4).
Students completing the AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping may wish to go on and complete the full AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting. If you do choose to continue your studies in this way, then your achievements in the Bookkeeping qualification are carried over to the longer Accounting qualification.
The skills and knowledge you will gain throughout this qualification will qualify you for roles including Clerical Assistant, Trainee Bookkeeper, Accounts Clerk, Finance Assistant and Accounts Administrator.
Student membership of The AAT is compulsory and must be renewed each year. Cost for 20-21 is £49.
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £0.00
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
When I came back into education I knew this was the place to go. Moodle is great and there’s a lot of content on there, any questions we have the tutors are very quick in responding.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this programme, successful candidates may progress onto the AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting or the AAT Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting. Many students will also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.