Performing Arts Practice (Musical Theatre)
About this course
This new and exciting course will give you a toolkit of vocational knowledge in all three disciplines of Musical Theatre, acting, song and dance. The course is designed to immerse you in a realistic and inclusive environment, teaching you all about the professional world of Musical Theatre.
This 90 credit Foundation Diploma will develop your skills for the industry with a nationally recognised qualification.
What you will study
During the course you will look at the History of Musical Theatre and study examples through watching live or recorded performances. You will study acting techniques, acting through song and acting in performance. You will also develop audition pieces and song repertoire and will create your own industry profile by studying the performing arts business, producing a CV/self-promotion video/showreel or website.
In Dance you will work to develop your technical and performance skills in a wide variety of dance styles including contemporary, jazz and ballet. You’ll develop your confidence in creating and learning choreography and have numerous opportunities to develop your performance work in technique class and performance projects.
You will explore different musical theatre styles from Rogers and Hammerstein to the more modern musicals through ensemble and solo singing. You will develop your vocal skills and have opportunities to perform through the year culminating in a final show incorporating all three disciplines.
The course will be marked by continuous assessment including regular assignments and practical assessments.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
5 GCSE’s A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at a Pass grade or higher. Musical Theatre students will be expected to undertake an audition.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“The college offered everything I could need in terms of facilities, with the theatre and lighting, and dance studios. The support at the college is good, they check in on us to make sure we doing okay on the course, they always give us everything we need.”
Career prospects & further study
Once this qualification is achieved, you can top up the Diploma to an Extended Diploma with an extra year of study. The course is equivalent to 2 or 3 A Levels and can provide enough UCAS points to progress onto University or Musical Theatre/Drama colleges.