BMus(Hons) in Music Performance & Recording (Top-up)
About this course
Would you like to increase your versatility as a performing and recording artist? Are you a performing artist or singer songwriter who wants to become a professional musician?
This course has been developed in response to current demands from the music industry. It aims to develop your skills as a performer and writer, along with your technical knowledge and to give you essential industry know-how that can help you to build your music career.
You will have access to an impressive range of technical facilities and studios. This includes professionally equipped suites with the latest industry software, a recording studio and surround sound mixing suite making it one of Cardiff’s best audio complexes.
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – CR11, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - A, Campus Name – City Centre Campus
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
CAVC Students currently studying the DipHE in this subject should contact Student Services about progressing to the degree top-up.
What you will study
This exciting new programme draws upon the CAVC staff’s vast experience of the music industry and is specifically designed in response to the needs of current and future practices. It is aimed at the musician/composer who wants to develop their own instrumental playing, composition and production skills and the industry savvy to launch and promote their career.
You will have the opportunity to take performance modules working in both one-to-one and group situations to ensure a relevant understanding of music theory, instrumental and composition skills, and performance techniques. The management strand of this programme ensures that you have the opportunity to develop the skills required to launch and manage your performance career. You will also be able to arrange live events and performances, and network within the industry.
Led by experienced tutors who are actively practising in the music business, you will study the following modules:
- Showcase Studies
- Music for the Moving Image
- Music Management
- Performance Project
- Advanced Performance Project
- Recording Project
- Industry Experience
Our location, close to the vibrant music scene in Cardiff, provides unique opportunities for placements, work experience and networking. We will also encourage you to collaborate with other musicians and artists at CAVC so you will be able to apply your skills in a variety of live situations, working with performers in a range of genres.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £9,000.00
- DipHE, Foundation Degree, HND or equivalent in the subject area
- Plus, three GCSE’s to include Maths and English (or equivalent)
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I’ve always wanted to study Music Technology and it’s great to have this course available at college. I didn’t study music at school but getting this opportunity has really been amazing. I didn’t think I’d be able to read music or produce it so quickly and I’ve even got my own set-up back at home. There’s so many facilities to take advantage of, two production rooms, performance rooms, studios and a recital room where we put on our final performances. I’ve progressed onto the Music Technology Foundation Degree and that’s been a great step up for me. I really want to be a producer but this course has opened up other options in music for me – one of those being events management which is what I’m leaning towards now.
Career prospects & further study
Masters Degree or employment.
Once you complete your course, you could go on to work as a:
- solo musician
- musical arranger
- studio engineer
- music producer
- live sound technician
- sound recordist
- post-production engineer
- broadcast professional
However through your option choice in the final year you can broaden your choice of possible career destinations. This can be in teaching, industry placements or through exploring sonic art.
Need to know