About this course
The programme is designed to enable students to graduate as highly skilled, professionally accredited therapists who are able to apply their critical appreciation of the evidence base to the development of complementary healthcare provision and research. The strong emphasis on clinical work based learning opportunities, entrepreneurship, employability skills and higher education core skills prepares students for progression to study at Level 6, self-employment or employment in a clinical healthcare setting whilst also laying the foundations for life-long learning and continuing professional development.
All learners will be required to always wear full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) whilst in the salons and clinic. Full uniform, to be purchased by learner. This includes tunic, trousers and flat enclosed shoes.
The following will be supplied by college:
- Face Mask
- Plastic Apron
- Surgical Gloves
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – RS01, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - A, Campus Name – City Centre Campus
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
The HND will focus on progressing students’ therapy skills and allow them to gain two Professional qualifications, in holistic massage (MTI) and clinical aromatherapy (IFPA). Students also develop their skills in clinical reflexology and by gaining the HND qualification, students are eligible for Association of Reflexologists (AoR) membership.
You will study the following modules;
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Holistic Massage 1
- Holistic Massage 2
- Clinical Reflexology 1
- Introduction to Key Skills
- Professional and Interprofessional Development
- Clinical Reflexology 2
- Research Methods
- Clinical Aromatherapy 1
- Clinical Aromatherapy 2
- Professional and Clinical Practice
Health Psychology and Wellbeing
Students will undertake a well-balanced mix of theory and practice delivered via a range of teaching methods across the programme including lectures, tutorials, workshops, practical classes, supervised clinics, group tasks and presentations.
Learners will be required to receive 10 treatments from a qualified practioner and obtain Professional Liability Insurance at their own cost.
Professional Liability Insurance will cost approximately £40 per year.
This qualification is credit awarded and moderated through Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Course fee per year
Aromatherapy Kit: £200.00
DBS Check: £45.05
Tuition Fees: £7,500.00
A level three qualification in Complementary Therapy or a related subject. Additionally applicants should have five GCSE passes at C grade or above. A successful interview demonstrating commitment to study and academic potential may also be required.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Ever since I can remember I have always enjoyed doing hair and beauty. Through the contacts that one of our tutors had, I obtained a job working in a spa. The practical skills I have gained from studying at CAVC have been amazing.
Career prospects & further study
Successful candidates have the opportunity to progress onto the third year of the BSc (Hons) Complementary Healthcare Top-up Year within the School of Sport and Health Sciences at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Need to know