About this course
The German - GCSE is an intensive one year course. Although the course is suitable for beginners, some knowledge of German is recommended. Students will practise the four language skills of reading, speaking, listening and writing and are encouraged to use the target language wherever possible.
What you will study
The content that will be studied will cover the following contexts:
Personal and social life
Self, family, friends, home life, shopping, meals, healthy living, illness and accidents, free time, fashion, relationships, future plans.
Home town, school, education, local environment, pollution, recycling, local facilities, comparisons with other towns and regions, weather and seasons.
The world of work
Work experience, part-time jobs, future careers, technology (sending messages, accessing information).
The wider world
Travel and holidays, media, social issues (e.g. life of young people today, homelessness, crime, drugs, healthy living, religion, politics), life in the countries and communities where the language is spoken.
The syllabus consists of four papers divided into two levels - Foundation (equal to grades C-G) and Higher (A*-D).
The weighting of the 4 language skills is as follows:
Unit 1: Listening (20%)
Unit 2: Speaking (30%)
Unit 3: Reading (20%)
Unit 4: Writing (30%)
The Speaking and Writing components are assessed between January and April during class time. Two controlled assessed tasks have to be completed for Writing and these are both 1 hour in length. The Speaking also consists of two controlled assessments: Structured conversation, 4–5 minutes and Presentation and discussion, 5–7 minutes. Listening and Reading are both examined in May.
Listening and Responding: 35 minutes for Foundation Tier, 45 minutes for Higher Tier.
Reading and Responding: 35 minutes for Foundation Tier, 45 minutes for Higher Tier.
Students can use the IT facilities in college located in the Learning Centre and in the Open Access Suite where support is available.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £35.00
Part-time enrolment fee: £30.00
Course Fee: £345.00
There are no formal entry requirements for adult learners. Full-time students should have a minimum of 4 GCSEs at Grade D.
17:45 - 20:45 Thursday
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know