About this course
Our Certificate in Counselling Studies course is aimed at those students who wish to continue their progression from Level 2 Counselling Skills. This programme continues to develop pupils' practical listening skills, whilst also introducing a number of counselling theories. Studying in the college's dedicated classrooms and facilities, this course outlines the practice of clinical supervision and the requirements of working in a counselling agency.
The qualification prepares learners for Level 4 in Therapeutic Counselling, but will also consolidate knowledge, understanding and skills for those who want to exit the programme at this point.
What you will study
Students will study a number of aspects of counselling including:
- Counselling skills
- Counselling theories
- Self awareness and reflective practice
- Counselling supervision
- Working in a counselling agency
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £189.00
Part-time enrolment fee: £35.00
Course Fee: £581.00
Certificate in Counselling Skills Level 2 or equivalent. Experience of working in a helping role in social work/support work or nursing is helpful. Applicants should be 18 or over. Successful Interview.
Barry - 12:00 - 15:00 - Wednesday
- 18:00 - 21:00 - Thursday
Cardiff - 18:00 - 21:00 - Tuesday and Wednesday
Teaching and assessment
You will be assessed by:
- Weekly reflective journals
- Class presentations
- Supervision assignments
- Taped skills assessments
- Final portfolios
- External exams
A variety of teaching methods will be used, including role play
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this qualification, successful candidates may progress onto Higher Education courses in Counselling. We also offer the Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling. Please see the fact sheet for further information on this programme.
Need to know