About this course
The Civil Engineering HNC will give you a high-level understanding of the design, function, construction and essential requirements for buildings and structures of all classes.
The Higher National Certificate is highly regarded qualification in the construction sector. The Civil Engineering course is designed to ensure you are highly employable and a valuable addition to organisations within the industry. The areas you will study include all the subjects necessary to meet the expectations of employers, preparing you for a career in this challenging and rewarding sector.
The course is designed to enhance your work-based skills with the view of working towards a Senior Technician position.
You’ll develop an appreciation of engineering principles, IT and personal skills, and the ability to apply them through the medium of design and project work.
What you will study
You will study the following 8 modules on this course:
Unit 1: Individual Project (set by awarding organisation)
Unit 3: Science and Materials
Unit 4: Construction Environment
Unit 7: Surveying, Measuring and Setting-out
Unit 8: Mathematics for Construction
Unit 15: Principles of Alternative Energy
Unit 17: Civil Engineering Technology
Unit 19: Principles of Structural Design
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £1,920.00
Teaching and assessment
The programme will be taught using a combination of lectures, guest speakers and tutorials. The programme will be assessed using a combination of assignments, practical assessment and examinations.
48 UCAS Tariff Points from the routes listed below: • BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and the Built Environment (or a related subject) • GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject; this profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent) in subjects such as maths and English • Other related Level 3 qualifications • Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution • International equivalent of the above. Mature applicants (aged 21+): If you do not hold the qualifications listed but have relevant work experience, you are welcome to apply. Your application will be considered on an individual basis. PPE/Equipment required: Laptop, Safety Boots, Notebook, Stationary, Memory Stick.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
On Completion of the HNC, learners can progress onto the HND in Civil Engineering or directly into employment in the construction sector.
Need to know