Children's Care, Play, Learning & Development
About this course
The Level 2 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core qualification has been designed for post-16 learners in Wales, working or seeking to work, in:
- Regulated childcare settings with families and children under the age of 8.
- NHS children's services for those working with families and children 0-19. This includes child health settings.
What you will study
The core covers the fundamental knowledge and understanding of the new All Wales Induction Framework for Early Years and Childcare and reflects a range of different roles and ages.
The Practice and Theory qualification combines theoretical knowledge in children's care, play, learning and development with the practical skills needed to work within the sector.
- Supporting core practice in children’s care, play, learning and development.
- Supporting play, learning, growth and development.
- Supporting nutrition and hydration in early years.
- Responding to signs of potential illness and infestation/infection
- Children’s health, well-being and development, 0-19 years, and factors that support health, well-being and development.
- The role and value of social care, education and health services available in Wales to support with children's care, health, well-being and development needs.
Learners are required to complete a minimum of 280 hours of work placement to achieve this qualification.
The Level 2 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory qualification is assessed through a combination of internal and external assessment. Candidates must successfully complete:
- An externally set, internally marked set of tasks.
- A portfolio of evidence.
- A discussion with their assessor.
- An external examination.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
3 GCSEs A* to C. C in English Language, D in Maths (GCSE numeracy is not accepted, however, learners with a level 2 Application of number qualification will be considered as an alternative to the D grade in GCSE Maths) Enhanced DBS check to be completed upon enrolment.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
"My tutors have been so supportive and lovely. After finishing this course, I hope to progress on to university to become a qualified primary school teacher."
Career prospects & further study
Learners can progress on to our level 3 course in Childcare or gain an apprenticeship in the industry.
Need to know