About this course
If you have a keen interest to pursue a new creative skill, our Introduction to CAD/CAM course is an excellent start to gain an understanding and practical
experience of digital techniques and processes. This course will introduce you to the manufacturing processes of 3D Printing and Laser Cutting and will allow you to apply these methods to a self-identified craft project.
Week 1 - 3: Laser Cutting Workshops
Week 4 - 6: 3D Printing Workshops
Week 7 - 10: Self Identified Craft Project
No previous knowledge or experience is required.
What you will study
This course covers a range of topics including:
• Exploring 3D design materials, techniques, and processes
• Apply 3D design materials, techniques, and processes to a brief
• Review and reflection 3D design materials, techniques, and processes
You will document your work for each session within a digital portfolio.
The college has an extensive Design & Technology Workshop and computer facilities.
• Availability of a wide range of materials including wood, card, foam, plastics
• Access to professional tools and equipment including bandsaws, spray booths, hot wire cutters.
• CAM production including 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC machines and vinyl cutters.
• Mac computers
• CAD software’s including AutoCAD, Fusion 360, Google SketchUp and Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
Course fee per year
Part-time enrolment fee: £35.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
Must be 18 years of age or above. Portfolio of work will be required on interview.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Need to know