About this course
The aims of this AS Chemistry qualification are to encourage students to:
- Develop their interest in, and enthusiasm for Chemistry, including developing an interest in further study and careers in Chemistry
- Appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
- Develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of How Science Works
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of Chemistry and how they relate to each other
What you will study
The course covers two units:
UNIT CH1 – Controlling and Using Chemical Changes (in order to make things, produce energy and solve environmental problems).
This unit begins with some important fundamental ideas about atoms and the use of the mole concept in calculations.
Three key principles governing chemical change are then studied:
- The position of equilibrium between reactants and products
- The energy changes associated with a chemical reaction
- The rate at which reactions take place
These principles are then applied to some important problems in the fields of chemical synthesis, obtaining energy and the maintenance of the environment.
UNIT CH2 - Properties, Structure and Bonding
This unit looks at:
- Chemical bonding
- Forces between molecules
- Shapes of molecules
- Solubility of compounds in water
- The Periodic Table
- Trends in properties of the elements
- Organic compounds and their reactions
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £473.00
Exam Fee: £60.00
Part-time enrolment fee: £35.00
Individual Subject Entry Requirement B in Chemistry Higher or BB in Double Award
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at CAVC. I feel like it was definitely the right choice for me. I really enjoyed the Scholars program - the amount of opportunities that were relayed to us were incredible, like going to a STEM competition hosted by a university.”
Need to know