About this course
The Business Studies A2 programme is a one-year course of study, that should be taken in conjunction with two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, learners may be able to take this qualification as a part-time student.
What you will study
A2 Business Studies follows on from AS, and covers two units:
- Unit 3 Business Analysis and Strategy
Unit 3 builds on the theory introduced in Units 1 and 2 and as the title suggests, the emphasis in this unit is on understanding and using analytical techniques and developing appropriate business strategies.
Students will need to understand, construct and analyse a range of decision-making models and appraisal methods used by businesses to decide on their strategy. Learners need to develop analytical skills to investigate business opportunities and problems in a number of different contexts and evaluate a range of quantitative and qualitative data to suggest possible strategic responses from businesses.
This exam will be assessed using a variety of questions based on mini-business related scenarios.
- Unit 4: Business in a Changing World
Unit 4 will assess the full A Level content, and focuses on how businesses adapt to succeed in a dynamic external environment.
Students will need to understand that the business world never stands still and that there are continuous opportunities and threats to businesses of all sizes. Pupils will also need to appreciate that regardless of size, businesses now operate in a global marketplace and they need to consider a wide range of external factors that affect their day-to-day activities, decision-making and strategy.
Learners are required to integrate the knowledge, understanding and skills developed in all four units to display a holistic understanding of business activity and the environment in which they operate.
This exam will be assessed using a case study and a choice of essays.
Course fee per year
Part-time enrolment fee: £0.00
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
Teaching and assessment
Two written exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Career prospects & further study
On completion of the A Level programme, the majority of our students progress onto universities across the country and beyond. Based on this course, there are many options but below are just a few examples of degree programmes you could go on to study at University:
- Business Studies
- Hospitality, Leisure, And Tourism
- Human Resource Management
- Management Studies
Need to know