Access to Health Sciences
About this course
The Access to Health Sciences course can lead students on to study a professional healthcare or science degree at university.
This course will be run two evenings a week with a few Saturday workshops throughout the course.
What you will study
Access to Health Sciences is the perfect course for anyone who is currently in full- or part-time work, or who has family commitments and wants to get back into post-GCSE education. These courses also suit those who have high-level qualifications from overseas and who wish to further their studies in the UK.
This course will prepare students for a range of university courses including:
- Operating Department Practitioner (ODP),
- Occupational Therapy,
- Paramedic Science
- Allied Health Professions
This is an intensive course, so candidates must be certain they are ready for both the academic demands and the workload of the programme. On successful completion of the course, learners will achieve the Access to Higher Education Diploma qualification. This is a nationally recognised qualification that is accepted for entry into Higher Education courses.
Biology, Chemistry and Health Care are covered as major subjects on this course. You will also be required to study Numeracy, Communications and Study Skills as mandatory core subjects. Weekly personal tutorials are held to support students through their studies.
Please note that some degree pathways require additional qualifications (e.g GCSE Maths/English at Grade B), alongside the Access to HE Diploma qualification. Please ensure you sign up to the appropriate provision based on your planned exit route - this can be discussed with us during your interview if you wish.
If you don't already have the GCSE qualifications and these are needed for your preferred university course, you might like to consider our pre-Access course - Adult Foundation. Induction week typically starts in the first week of September each academic year.
Course fee per year
Part-time enrolment fee: £60.00
Course Fee: £290.00
3 years or more out of formal education GCSE Maths or English C+ or IELTS Level 6 Please be aware that some universities have GCSE Maths and English entry requirements, and in some instances GCSE Science. Clear, well researched exit pathways, knowledge of university courses and entry requirements. Numeracy skills at level 2 Literacy skills at strong level 2 /preferably level 3. *Students should research and make sure that they meet the qualification entry requirements for their chosen universities. You will be asked to provide evidence of your qualifications before enrolling.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including essays, presentations, in class tests and exams.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I think I have really grown in confidence on the course, and have gained basic skills which I didn’t have before, I left school at the begin in Year 11, so getting a C in maths and English at GCSE was a big deal for me, and it boosted my confidence.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress within the college and go on to study for a Foundation Degree. Many students also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry, as well as a number of courses at University.
Need to know