Access to Further Study ESOL
About this course
This Level 2 pathway aims to equip you with qualifications to provide better job prospects or prepare you for Level 3 study.
The course is aimed at mature learners who have life experience (at least 2 years out of full-time education) and some previous qualifications, but these may be at low grades, or may have been taken a long time ago!
There will be one Adult Foundation group in Cardiff for ESOL learners. This group will have extra English to support language development. Learners progressing from ESOL courses will be required to have passed all level two skills: speaking and listening, reading and writing.
What you will study
Adult Foundation is an intensive one-year course which builds on existing skills. You will study Science, Social Science, Maths, English, IT and Study Skills as part of the Agored Skills for Further Diploma and you will also have the opportunity to sit GCSE English and Maths. Weekly tutorials are held to explore progression routes and support you through your studies.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including essays, presentations, in class tests and exams.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Level 1 Literacy and Numeracy assessed at interview (equivalent to GCSE Grade D or above). Learners need to have passed level 2 ESOL skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I was home educated from year 7 onwards, and as a result I ended up not getting any qualifications. I knew I needed to get something so I could get a job. I found all my tutors really supportive, but seeing is believing, so I would say come and see what this college could do for you.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course many students progress on to our Access courses which give you the opportunity to apply for university. Other student apply for a variety of Level 3 courses which are offered at the college, as well pursuing a variety jobs with their new skills.
Need to know