Access to Engineering (Maths, Physics & Engineering)
About this course
An Access course is an intense learning opportunity, aimed at adults who wish to study at university but don't necessarily have the qualifications to apply. An Access course would suit mature students with significant work and life experiences who have been out of formal education for 3 or more years. An Access Level 3 course is specifically designed to prepare students for study at university level.
This course would suit learners looking to pursue a career in engineering or science who wish to study one of the following university degrees (NB this list is not exhaustive)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
What you will study
This course will cover subjects in:
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including essays, presentations, in class tests and exams.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
3 years or more out of formal education GCSE Maths C+ Please be aware that some universities have GCSE Maths and English entry requirements, and in some instances GCSE Science. Clear, well researched exit pathways, knowledge of university courses and entry requirements. Numeracy skills at strong level 2 /preferably level 3. Literacy skills at level 2 *Students should research and make sure that they meet the qualification entry requirements for their chosen universities. You will be asked to provide evidence of your qualifications before enrolling.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I think I have really grown in confidence on the course, and have gained basic skills which I didn’t have before, I left school at the begin in Year 11, so getting a C in maths and English at GCSE was a big deal for me, and it boosted my confidence.
Career prospects & further study
On the completion of this course students will have the necessary qualification to apply for University. Course you could study include but aren't exclusive to Engineering, Maths and Physics.
Need to know