The CAVC Women’s Rugby Academy provides the perfect platform for talented female rugby players aged 16-19 who have an interest in performance and elite level rugby.
Academy members play regular fixtures within the AoC leagues and Welsh
Rugby Union Colleges and WRU Events. With outstanding facilities, coaching, contacts and unrivalled wrap-around support that enables you to reach your potential. We’ve an excellent track record for success with several players being selected to represent Wales on the Six Nations stage.
What can we offer you?
The right balance
- Your teachers and coaches work together to ensure your studies and your sports commitments don’t conflict. We create the right balance for you to reach your potential in both.
A track record of success
- Several players were selected to take part in the first ever U18s Women’s Six Nations Tournament in Scotland.
- In its first year, the Women’s Rugby Academy at CAVC has seen 13 players involved in regional U18s teams, six players in the Weider National Squad, and two players will go on to represent Wales in the European Touch Championships.
- Cardiff Arms Park: the heart of regional rugby and high-profile location for some home fixtures during the season.
- Gethin Jenkins High Performance Gym at our City Centre Campus: one of the best facilities if its kind for developing strength and conditioning.
- Cardiff International Sports Campus (CISC) & Canal Park at City Centre Campus: with top class pitches and a state-of-the-art sports domes ensuring training and matches can take place throughout the year.
- Accommodation is available for students from further afield wishing to join CAVC and one of our academies.
Professional expert coaching
- Professional rugby coaching each week.
- Top class coaching team including Level 4 Women’s Rugby Coach with over 6 year’s experience and a team of specialist coaches.
Professional strength and conditioning and wraparound support
- Strength and Conditioning Coach, ensuring an individualised programme of development for each player.
- Access to weekly physiotherapy sessions and a range of sport science support such as nutrition, psychology and performance analysis.
- Up to 20 fixtures in the Welsh and British Colleges League each season.
- Participation in high profile tournaments.
- CAVC is the Official College Partner of Cardiff Rugby: benefiting player profile and progression opportunities.
- A supportive environment that allows you to continue playing domestic rugby with your chosen club.
"Being involved in the academy has changed the way I see the game. I feel like I’ve learnt a lot more being involved in the women’s academy developing my scrummaging and game play, the excellent coaching has helped me and my team mates, provided opportunities in England, 7’s events and regular fixtures including a chance to play at the Principality Stadium. It’s also helped me get selected for Cardiff U18’s team alongside my team mates. I’ve found studying and playing for the College fantastic as my tutors are supportive when it comes to training and games."
"Playing for the first ever Wales u18’s was the best experience, but it wasn’t easy, the training and lifestyle may have been a challenge at times which gave me a real insight of what my rugby career could look like. Studying at Cardiff and Vale College supplies professionalism within training and off field gym sessions, it has helped me achieve and get to where I am now and to see what my future could hold."