CAVC Rugby Academy provides the perfect platform for talented rugby players aged 16-19 who have an interest in performance and elite level rugby.
As the official college partner of Cardiff Rugby we provide the facilities, coaching, contacts and unrivalled wraparound support that enables you to reach your potential.
CAVC Rugby Academy has won national competitions and developed a reputation and track record for growing and developing talent for the region and Wales.
What can we offer you?
The right balance
- Your teachers and coaches work together to ensure your studies and your sports commitments don’t conflict. We create the right balance for you to reach your potential in both.
A track record of success
- CAVC Rugby Academy are winners of the Welsh Schools and Colleges Cup, winning their final at the Principality Stadium.
- Since establishment in 2016, 28 students have gone on to play internationally in teams such as the Welsh U18s and the Welsh Senior 7s.
- Over 100 students have represented the Cardiff Blues Region from under 18 to senior squad level.
- Many former CAVC players have progressed to leading sports universities and are now representing teams including Cardiff University, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Loughborough University and Exeter University.
- Cardiff Arms Park: the heart of regional rugby and high-profile location for some home fixtures during the season.
- Gethin Jenkins High Performance Gym at our City Centre Campus: one of the best facilities if its kind for developing strength and conditioning.
- Cardiff International Sports Campus (CISC) & Canal Park at City Centre Campus: with top class pitches and a state-of-the-art sports domes ensuring training and matches can take place throughout the year.
- Accommodation is available for students from further afield wishing to join CAVC and one of our academies.
Professional expert coaching
- Professional rugby coaching each week.
- Top class coaching team including Level 4 Director of Rugby and a team of specialist coaches including current professional rugby players.
Professional strength and conditioning and wraparound support
- Strength and Conditioning Coach, ensuring an individualised programme of development for each player.
- Access to weekly physiotherapy sessions and a range of sport science support such as nutrition, psychology and performance analysis.
- Up to 20 fixtures in the Welsh and British Colleges League each season.
- Participation in high profile tournaments including Rosalyn Park 7’s.
- International Tour: the most recent being to Japan, when CAVC was chosen to represent Wales in the SANIX Youth World Cup.
- CAVC is the Official College Partner of Cardiff Rugby: benefiting player profile and progression opportunities.
- Established progression pathways including to Cardiff Rugby, Cardiff RFC, leading sports universities and national squads.
- A supportive environment that allows you to continue playing domestic rugby with your chosen club.
Martyn Fowler - Head Coach
The Academy is led and coached by former Cardiff RFC Director of Rugby and Cardiff University Head of Rugby Martyn Fowler. Martyn is Director of Rugby at the College and is a Level 4 coach with more than 15 years’ coaching experience. Five of those years were spent coaching in the Principality Premiership with Bedwas RFC and Cardiff RFC.
CAVC are proud to work in partnership with the Cardiff Blues.
"After leaving Cardiff and Vale College I progressed to Cardiff University to study History. This allowed me to stay in Cardiff to build on my academic and rugby development at a Regional Academy Level, gain my U20’s Welsh cap and play in the Premiership and the Regional A squad. I now play professional with Cardiff Rugby and have been capped for Wales.
CAVC and the Rugby Academy in particular have really helped me progress not just academically but my rugby career to where I am today. As a Cardiff boy, it has been a lifelong ambition to represent the Region and this allowed me to do this".
"My brother played for Cardiff and Vale College as part of his Regional Academy agreement and watching him develop his game made a huge impression on me. The decision to leave school and join CAVC was an easy one based my brother’s development and experiences.
The level of coaching, facilities and resources are as good as if not better than any facilities across the country. The focus of the Academy is development based, with a learning first focus in the classroom with all rugby activities planned to take place outside of the learning day.
The Academy provided me with a shop window to showcase my talents and since being here I have been selected at U18 Regional level for two years and represented Wales U18, selected for Wales U19 and gained a three-year Regional Academy contract this season. The learning taken from the experience at CAVC will benefit me for many years to come".