Award in Domestic Retrofit Assessment (PLA)
About this course
Retrofit Assessors work in a range of organisations such as housing associations, local authorities, energy and utility companies and specialist retrofit companies. Many are self-employed or setup their own businesses. The role might vary depending on the organisation, but in all organisations Retrofit Assessors conduct an assessment
of a property and provide the Retrofit Coordinator and or Designer with the data required to make informed decisions about retrofit measures.
This FREE course is only available to adults that are eligible for a Personal Learning Account (PLA). Personal Learning Accounts, funded by the Welsh Government, are available to employed adults living in Wales that wish to develop skills to progress or change career.
Find out if you're eligible today.
18+ and DEA qualified
Teaching and assessment methods
Online Self Study
The 9 modules take around 29 hours to complete.
One day tutor led class followed by an End Point assessment. Learners are required to build a portfolio of evidence throughout the course, which will be discussed in the End Point Assessment.
What you will study
The course is made up of nine modules that cover all aspects of retrofit assessment. Each module features extensive learning materials, expert presentations, case studies and activities that are
designed to give you an in-depth understanding of both theory and practice.
- Module 1 PAS 2035 and retrofit assessments
- Module 2 Context of dwellings
- Module 3 Assessing the condition of a dwelling and recording any defects
- Module 4 The requirements of occupancy assessments
- Module 5 Ventilation requirements of a dwelling
- Module 6 Energy performance of a dwelling
- Module 7 Significance of a dwelling
- Module 8 Retrofit assessment reports
Module 9 Retrofit advice to customers
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course you can go on to complete the full 2-year Extended Diploma. Many students progress onto courses at university, others go directly into employment. CAVC offers a HNC in Sport Coaching which if competed successfully leads on to a top up at Cardiff Metropolitan University to complete the full degree course.
Need to know