About this course
This AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) advanced level course is a mid-level bookkeeping qualification, ideal for anyone who is looking to advance their existing knowledge of accounting. This flexible course is delivered in partnership with Mindful Education and combines online learning with face-to-face lessons in the classroom.
Please note: Virtual classroom attendance is weekly, every Thursday, 6-8pm.
This FREE course is only available to adults that are eligible for a Personal Learning Account (PLA). Personal Learning Accounts, funded by the Welsh Government, are available to employed adults living in Wales that wish to develop skills to progress or change career.
Find out if you're eligible today.
What you will study
This qualification covers a range of complex bookkeeping tasks. You will learn and master financial processes, including bookkeeping principles and concepts. Units of Study
The Level 3 course covers a range of key areas, including:
- Advanced Bookkeeping
- Indirect Tax
- Final Accounts Preparation You will also develop business communications and lifelong learning skills, applying what you learn on the course to the wider industry context.
Study Method – Online and On Campus
We have partnered with Mindful Education to deliver this course through our Online and On Campus model.
Online video lectures are available on demand, and can be viewed from your phone, tablet or computer, meaning you can choose how, when and where you want to study. Each lesson lasts around 45 minutes and is accompanied by animations and motion graphics to bring concepts to life. Exercises, interactive case studies and analytical tools help to enhance the learning experience further.
On virtual campus, you benefit from regular virtual classes – without having to commit to attending multiple evenings each week. An experienced college tutor will discuss and reinforce what you have learnt during your online study and will be on hand to provide guidance on progress and assessment. Discussion and debate with classmates will help you apply theories to situations you face in the workplace. Note regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19): Due to the nature of our Online and On Campus courses, with key concepts being taught online through high-quality video lectures, students are able to continue their studies seamlessly with social distancing in place. Some of the regular ‘On Campus’ lessons can be replaced by remote ‘virtual classroom’ sessions led by college tutors. This flexible approach can be easily adapted to suit government guidance and college policies. This course is assessed through computer-based exams and unit assessments.
You must have a sound knowledge of bookkeeping principles to undertake the AAT Level 3 programme. Achievement of an AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping or AAT Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting is essential.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
Students completing the AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping may wish to go on and complete the full AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting. If you do choose to continue your studies in this way, then your achievements in the Bookkeeping qualification are carried over to the longer Accounting qualification. If you successfully complete this qualification, you can apply for AAT associate bookkeeping membership (AATQB). The skills and knowledge you will gain throughout this qualification will qualify you for roles including Finance Officer, Assistant Accountant and Bookkeeper. You will also be eligible for AAT Bookkeeper (AATQB) status, giving you the option to work as a freelance bookkeeper.