About this course
This Physical Education – A2 Level is a one-year course that should be taken alongside two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate.
It may be possible to take this course as a part-time student.
The course will enable learners to:
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance.
- Understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance.
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport.
- Understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport.
- Refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas.
- Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance.
- Understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness.
- Improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds.
What you will study
There is one end of year assessment; a practical assessment as a performer, a coach and official in one sport, production of a personal performance profile.
After studying units 1 and 2 at AS, the A2 course covers:
A2 Unit 3: Evaluating physical education
- Written examination: 2 hours; 36% of qualification
A2 Unit 4: Refining personal performance in physical education
- Non-exam assessment; 24% of qualification
Practical performance in one activity as a player/performer, coach or official is assessed, also investigative research
Teaching and assessment
Written exam and practical assessment
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know