About this course
If you are keen to pursue an exciting career in the theatre industry, this course is a great place to start! Taught at our City Centre Campus, this course offers learners the chance to study for a nationally recognised Performing Arts qualification, which will develop the many skills required for performance in the medium of theatre and TV. As part of the programme, all students will study Key Skills and be entered for accreditation. Key Skills are extremely important in developing transferable skills for life in general, and the points gained through the accreditation are recognised by Higher Education institutions.
What you will study
During the course, you will study a wide range of units and skills including:
- Developing Acting Skills
- Exploring Performance Styles
- Creating Performance Work
- Film and TV Acting
- Classical/Contemporary Theatre Performance
- Drama Improvisation
- Physical Theatre
- Working in The Performing Arts Industry
Once this qualification is achieved, you can top up the Diploma to an Extended Diploma with an extra year of study. The course is equivalent to 3 A levels and can provide enough UCAS points to progress onto University.
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. Performing Arts students will be expected to undertake an audition.
Excellent facilities including purpose-built theatre and dance studio. Strong links with professional performing arts organisations.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching assessments will include practical work, rehearsal, theatre workshops, creative collaboration, performance.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“The college offered everything I could need in terms of facilities, with the theatre and lighting, and dance studios. The support at the college is good, they check in on us to make sure we doing okay on the course, they always give us everything we need."
Career prospects & further study
Students will progress to higher education and drama school to continue their development and training in Performing Arts.