About this course
If you are keen to pursue an exciting career in the theatre industry, our Diploma in Performing Arts Practice (Acting) course is a great place to start! Taught at our City Centre Campus, this course offers learners the chance to study for a nationally recognised Performing Arts qualification, which will develop the many skills required for performance in the medium of theatre and TV. As part of the programme, all students will study Key Skills and be entered for accreditation. Key Skills are extremely important in developing transferable skills for life in general, and the points gained through the accreditation are recognised by Higher Education institutions.
What you will study
During the course, you will study a wide range of units and skills including:
- Developing Acting Skills
- Exploring Performance Styles
- Creating Performance Work
- Film and TV Acting
- Classical/Contemporary Theatre Performance
- Drama Improvisation
- Physical Theatre
- Working in The Performing Arts Industry
Once this qualification is achieved, you can top up the Diploma to an Extended Diploma with an extra year of study. The course is equivalent to 3 A levels and can provide enough UCAS points to progress onto University.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or a Level 2 Diploma in this discipline at Pass grade or higher. Performing Arts students will be expected to undertake an audition.
Excellent facilities including purpose-built theatre and dance studio. Strong links with professional performing arts organisations.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching assessments will include practical work, rehearsal, theatre workshops, creative collaboration, performance.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Since being at the College I have performed in two musicals which were organised by the Careers and Ideas team. I have been fortunate enough to have had lead roles in both Disco Inferno and We Will Rock You. I surprised myself with what I was able to achieve. I had so much support from doing my Level 3 qualifications and that’s what made me want to stay at Cardiff and Vale College. The facilities are amazing, and if you have any issues the tutors are brilliant.
Career prospects & further study
National Theatre Wales
Students will progress to higher education and drama school to continue their development and training in Performing Arts.