About this course
A2 Mathematics (2017 Spec) follows on from WJEC AS Mathematics (2017 Spec) course. It is the second year in a two-year course, due to specification changes and timetable constraints it will not be possible to study AS and A2 maths simultaneously, for the first time from September 2018.
What you will study
During this course the following areas will be covered:
Module M1 (Mechanics 1) Exam 1.5hrs
M1 introduces the concept of mathematical modelling of real life situations to solve problems and this theme runs through all topics. The topics explored in M1 are the kinematics (movement) of a particle moving in a straight line horizontally and vertically. The dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line, utilising Newton’s Laws to solve problems involving forces acting on particles whether they are moving or whether they are static (in equilibrium). Moments and the idea of turning forces are introduced including the concept of a centre of mass. The final topic is vectors and how we use them to solve problems.
Module C3 (Core Mathematics 3) Exam 1.5hrs
This module covers topics already met in C1 and C2 and develops them further. New applications of trigonometry are introduced including trigonometric identities. Differentiation is also a major focus of this unit examining several different differentiation methods. Numerical methods are formally introduced and extended for the first time since GCSE Maths. The final topic area of C3 is functions.
Module C4 (Core Mathematics 4) Exam 1.5hrs
C4 extends some topics from previous modules; the binomial expansion is revisited, as is coordinate geometry. A major part of C4 focuses on the many different integration methods as well as introducing one or two new differentiation methods. Finally vectors and their applications are introduced.
There are three written 1.5 hour exams.
NOTE: The WJEC specification for A-level maths is changing this year. If you do not complete the A2 (Legacy) course in 2017-2018 you may not be able to do so at CAVC in 2018-2019
Course Textbooks (optional)
WJEC A2 Mathematics Core 3 & 4: Study and Revision Guide
WJEC AS Mathematics M1 Mechanics: Study and Revision Guide
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £60.00
Course Fee: £460.00
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
17:45 - 20:45 Tuesday
Teaching and assessment
- Three written exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I was really nervous ahead of receiving my results but with the help of the tutors during my time here, I managed to get the grades I wanted.
Need to know