About this course
This Italian GCSE is a course for students who wish to develop a deeper understanding of Italian society, language and culture. It also aims to develop overall competence, communication skills and grammatical knowledge in Italian and act as preparation for anyone wanting to continue their studies at A-level. However, above all, the course is for anyone who loves Italy and the Italian language.
Although the course is suitable for beginners, some knowledge of Italian is recommended.
What you will study
The syllabus consists of four papers, divided into two levels - Foundation (equal to grades 1-5) and Higher (4-9). The grading is based upon the new GCSE in England, since GCSE Italian is not offered by the Welsh Exam Board.
The papers are:
Paper 1 - Listening (25%), Written examination.
Paper 2 - Speaking (25%), Internally conducted and externally assessed.
Paper 3 - Reading (25%), Written examination.
Paper 4 - Writing (25%), Written examination.
The papers cover the following topic areas:
1. Identity and culture.
2. Local area, holiday, travel.
4. Future aspirations, study and work.
5. International and global dimension.
The main textbook will be Contatti by Checketts and Freeth and published by Hodder and Stoughton.
There is free access to computers in the Learning Resource Centre.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £35.00
Course Fee: £375.00
There are no formal entry requirements for adult learners. Full-time students should have a minimum of 4 GCSEs at Grade D.
17:45 - 20:45 Wednesday
Teaching and assessment
- Written exams and assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know