About this course
This BTEC Level 1 Introductory Diploma in Information Technology is designed for those who are new to IT. It is a practical course which focuses on the introduction to IT in the workplace. It is a broad introduction to the IT sector and give learners the opportunity to demonstrate increased skill levels. Learners will develop necessary transferable and IT skills. The qualifications prepare learners for progression to Level 2 BTECs or other study programmes.
What you will study
On this course you will learn by completing projects and assignments based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.
Topics studied on this course can include:
- Being Organised
- Developing a Personal Progression Plan
- Working with Others
- Researching a Topic
- Developing Digital Information Using IT
- Using Digital Communication Technologies
- Solving Technical IT Problems
- Creating a Spreadsheet to Solve Problems
- Creating a Website
- Creating a Computer Program
You will also study Essential Skills Level 1 in Numeracy and Communications.
2 GCSEs at Grade A-E, including English and Maths. Students must be at least 16 years old. New students will have an interview/placement test before starting their course to ensure that they are placed at the correct level.
Teaching and assessment
- Written assessments including coursework and practical assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
“I enjoyed all the different units and assignments that required a lot of research within my course. My favourite thing about CAVC is that the facilities are available for us to use 24/7”.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto Level 2 in the same subject or pursue various opportunities within the industry.
Need to know