About this course
Our Computing with Cyber Security course is a two-year BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing and is equivalent to three A Levels. Students achieving this qualification will either go on to study a computing or IT related qualification at University or enter employment. This course has an emphasis on cyber security.
This is a growth area for employment opportunities as the number of IT devices continues to grow, the demand for staff able to manage a networking environment grows, and it will continue to increase. Skills range from identifying and replacing basic components of a PC to connecting a network of PCs within a company, enabling businesses to communicate with the world and operate on a global scale. Security, creating and managing safe IT environments are crucial elements to building a successful business and companies have to develop strategies to eradicate viruses and prevent hacking wherever possible. Networking is also an exciting area of the computing profession, and offers enjoyable and challenging career opportunities.
What you will study
In this Extended Diploma in Computing you will study units including:
- Principles of Computer Science – programming
- Systems Analysis and Design
- IT Systems Security and Encryption
- Relational Database Development
- Software Design and Development Project
- Computer Networking
- Planning and Managing Computing Projects
5 GCSEs Grades A* - C including English Language and Maths (or equivalent) or Business Level 2 qualification with a Merit profile. International students will require an IELTS score of 6.5 or above.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
“I enjoyed all the different units and assignments that required a lot of research within my course. My favourite thing about CAVC is that the facilities are available for us to use 24/7”.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto the Extended Diploma in Computing. Many students will also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.
Need to know