About this course
If you're keen to kick start your career and gain an understanding and practical experience of a variety of trades in the Building Services industry, then our Level 1 Multi Skill Diploma is an excellent place to start. This qualification is perfect for those individuals looking for an introduction to the variety of building services trades available, and will help you decide which trade you may be suited to. Taught at our dedicated construction centres and facilities, the course will cover a range of hand-skills and practical tasks in the following trade areas: Plumbing, Electrical Installation and Wall and Floor Tiling. No previous knowledge or experience is required.
What you will study
Students will develop their skills in our dedicated classrooms and workshops, using suitable tools and materials. This course is made up of a number of units including:
- Introduction to health and safety in construction
- Introduction to the construction industry
- Bending and jointing copper pipes
- Working with non-manipulative fittings
- Constructing combined frames (Copper, Plastic, Low Carbon Steel)
- Installing rain water goods
- Working with low carbon steel pipes and fittings
- Removing and refitting water-filled radiators
- Connecting flex to common apparatus
- Constructing PVC wiring systems
- Installing one way lighting circuits
- Installing two way lighting circuits
- Assembling 13 amp switched sockets wired in ring final circuit
- Cutting, bending, joining and threading conduit
- Tiling a plain wall
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £30.00
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs Grades A*-D. Alternatively, applicants will be considered based on interview and a satisfactory skills scan, with a desire and commitment to complete the course they would wish to study.
Teaching and assessment
- Practical and written assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I want to become a Gas Engineer, after this year I can progress on and gain my gas certification and I will have achieved my goal. My course started as Level 2 NVQ and from there I have progressed through to Level 4 where I am now. As I am doing an Apprenticeship it is nice to have a day off work to come to college and learn the theory which I can then put into practice in my job.
Need to know