About this course
The HND in Sport Conditioning, Rehabilitation and Massage will provide an opportunity for students to prepare to work in the growing leisure and professional sport industry. It will also develop skills that meet aspects of the wider health and wellbeing agenda.
What you will study
The course aims to develop intellectual knowledge and understanding of the academic disciplines and key concepts that underpin Sport Conditioning, Rehabilitation and Massage in the UK and abroad. Students will undertake modules that evaluate the scientific basis of preparation and rehabilitation of performers in sport. Students will develop technical skills in the conditioning and rehabilitation of sports performers and a variety of soft tissue/massage methods. The programme aims to enable students to apply professional principles of practice within competitive and non-competitive environments as well as preparing them for employment and/or future study.
The course will be based at the Cardiff International Sports Stadium in Leckwith, which has state of the art facilities and acts as a central hub for the college’s sports provision.
Modules cover the following subject areas:
• Sport and Exercise Science
• Strength and Conditioning
• Sport Massage and Soft Tissue Practices
• Research Process
• Sports Injuries and Rehabilitation
• Fitness instructing and Personal Training
• Applied Principles and Techniques in Professional Practice
• Applied Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise
• Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology
The learning and teaching methods will include lectures, seminars, workshops, practical sessions and tutorials. A range of assessment methods will be used including written assignments, scientific reports, presentations, practical assessments, work based assessment and portfolios.
Please note: You can apply for this course either through UCAS or directly with the College.
If applying via UCAS please use the following details: Course Code - Z207, University Code - C20, Campus Code - 4 - CAVC Leckwith.
Teaching and assessment
A range of assessment methods will be used including written assignments, scientific reports, presentations, practical assessments, work based assessment and portfolios.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £7,500.00
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
96 UCAS tariff points from 3 A Levels, one within a Science(acceptable Sciences include Biology, Chemistry, Physics, PE/Sport Studies, Psychology, Mathematics or Social Biology) or an equivalent qualification such as the BTEC Extended Diploma For applicants only undertaking 2 A Levels / 12-unit BTEC or equivalent, other qualifications, experiences and sporting achievements will be considered.
In addition, applicants should normally have five GCSEs including English Language (or Welsh First Language), Maths and Science at grade C or above (grade 4 or above for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England).
- Successful interview demonstrating commitment to study and academic potential.
- Evidence of recent study or employment.
- Evidence of a commitment to one of the main sub-discipline areas within the programme.
- If a candidate is taking or has recently taken (last 2 years) GCSE English and/or Mathematics, these should have been passed at Grade C or above.
Time of day
I’d been with the College previously but this was completely different and just as good if not better. I’ve learned a lot from the modules and the lecturers have been really helpful – I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in sport. I’m going to continue to my third year and get my degree. At one time I would never have thought I’d be in a position where I was graduating and here I am.
Career prospects & further study
growth in sector
After completing this course you can go on to complete the full 2-year Extended Diploma. Many students progress onto courses at university, others go directly into employment. CAVC offers a HNC in Sport Coaching which if competed successfully leads on to a top up at Cardiff Metropolitan University to complete the full degree course.
Need to know