About this course
The qualifications will cover the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills required by the Health and Social Care sectors, providing a broad basis for further and/or higher education or employment within the sectors.
This is the first year of a 2 year course and includes the Welsh Bacc.
What you will study
The qualifications will include the principles and theories of human growth and development.
Topics in the first year are likely to include:
- factors that affect human growth and development
- common illnesses, diseases and disorders, and how they may be prevented and controlled
- provision of health and social care: adults, children's and young people's services
- promoting quality care and communication
- promoting good health.
During the second year learners will be able to broaden their study by choosing two topics from a number of optional units.
Topics likely to be included:
- engagement strategies to support individuals in a range of care settings
- understanding human behaviour – psychological theories
- understanding mental health and well-being
- promoting the rights of adults, children and young people
These qualifications will require an element of meaningful employer/sector engagement which could include a set work placement.
These qualifications will be assessed through a combination of two external written assessments and two non-exam assessments.
The qualification will also be accompanied by two out of four of the Welsh Baccalaureate skills challenges.
Attached to the course is a requirement to complete a minimum of 50 hours work placement within a relevant setting.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
5 GCSEs A* to C. C in English Language, C in Maths (numeracy not accepted).
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
"The tutors are very supportive and understanding. I'm hoping to progress on to being a qualified teaching assistant."
Career prospects & further study
Learners completing the Level 3 Health and Social Care: qualification alongside other Level 3 qualifications, including GCE and/or WBQ could progress to higher education courses in areas including:
- social care
- speech and language therapy
- occupational health
Learners who wish to progress to higher education may choose to take these qualifications alongside Advanced GCE in Health and Social Care, and Childcare thereby completing the equivalent of three A levels.
The qualifications could also lead to further education and training within the suite of Health and Social Care, and Childcare qualifications including:
- Level 3 Health and Social Care: Practice (Adults)
- Level 3 Health and Social Care: Practice (Children and Young People)
- Level 4 Health and Social Care with Specialism
Need to know