About this course
Aerospace is one of the fastest growing industries in the UK with exciting opportunities to work in Wales and across the world. The sector has seen consistent growth in recent years, and supports a growing number of high-skill, high-value jobs. If you have a passion for aircraft, or you simply wish to develop into an engineer with wide and varied engineering skills applicable across a wide range of industries, then this course is right for you.
The programme will be delivered at our International Centre for Aerospace Training.
Tuition is provided by experienced engineering staff who have relevant industrial experience in the aeronautical engineering sector.
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – AG02, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - D, Campus Name – International Centre for Aerospace Training (ICAT)
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
This course is ideal for those wanting to progress into aerospace technology management or gain professional recognition, by progressing to Incorporated Engineer Status. The course covers
Year 1 (full time) – level 4:
- Engineering Design
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Science
- Managing a Professional Engineering Project
- Aircraft Aerodynamics
- Aircraft Electrical Power and Distribution Systems
- Airframe Mechanical Systems
Year 2 (full time) level 5:
- Research Project
- Professional Engineering Management
- Further Mathematics
- Aircraft Flight Control Systems
- Aircraft Propulsion Principles and Technology
- Avionic Systems
- Aircraft Gas Turbine Engine Design and Performance
The programme is modular in design and students will study the equivalent of 120 credits per academic year (full time equivalent)
- Teaching methods include lectures, whole group information-giving sessions, workshops, tutorials, practical work, and blended e-learning and group critiques.
- Assessment for the course is designed, where possible, to simulate the variety of tasks that graduates from the programme may encounter in relevant employment. Where necessary other academic assessment devices, such as a formal examination are also used.
- The practical work will reflect real-world techniques that practitioners would encounter in the aerospace industry.
Upon successful completion of the HND it is also possible to gain entrance to the second / third year, of a three year degree.
Students that successfully complete their level 4 studies can exit with a HNC in Aeronautical Engineering and will be able to progress to industry employment in the aerospace sector.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £6,000.00
- 48 UCAS tariff points -Two A-levels including Maths and another technical subject, (normally Physics) with at least a pass
- BTEC National Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in an appropriate subject,
- Other level 3 qualifications may be acceptable.
- Mature students with related work experience may be exempted normal entry requirements.
- All students must be competent in English language to a standard equivalent to at least grade 4 (or C) in GCSE English.
- IELTS 5.5
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Aircraft Engineering covered the key areas I was looking for; Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Electrics. I progressed onto the BEng Honours Degree from the Level 3 course here at CAVC. The course really opens your eyes to how much goes on inside an aircraft and it highlighted that this was the industry for me.
Career prospects & further study
On completion of this course you can progress on to the BEng (Hons) in Aircraft Engineering at CAVC.
Need to know