About this course
Would you like to increase your versatility as an electronic music producer? Are you a musician or recording artist who wants to become a music producer?
This course has been developed in response to current demands from the music industry. It aims to develop your skills as a producer and writer, along with your technical knowledge and to give you essential industry know-how that can help you to build your music career.
You will have access to an impressive range of technical facilities and studios. This includes professionally equipped suites with the latest industry software, a recording studio and surround sound mixing suite making it one of Cardiff’s best audio complexes.
Following the successful completion of the DipHE, you can progress to the BA(Hons) Electronic Music Production Top-up course also run at the College, to achieve a full honours degree.
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – CR09, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - A, Campus Name – City Centre Campus
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
This course will provide you with a thorough appreciation of the role of electronic music production in music-making today as it is used across the music and media industries.
Through your theory and practical studies, you will come to consider electronic music as not just a single genre but as a way of making music that can be applied to a multitude of styles. You will learn to harness today’s hardware and software to sequence, sample, synthesise, compose, produce and remix sound, as well as to make music and experiment with sound design. Led by experienced tutors who are actively practising in the music business, you will study the following modules:
Year 1 (level 4):
- Synthesis and Sampling
- Recording Theory
- EDM Practice
- Popular Music Analysis
- Recording Practice
- Planning a Release
Year 2 (level 5):
- Electronic Music production
- New Modular Music
- Artist Development
- Research Methods
- Hip Hop Production
- Live Electronic Music
Our location, close to the vibrant music scene in Cardiff, provides unique opportunities for placements, work experience and networking. We will also encourage you to collaborate with other musicians and artists at CAVC so you will be able to apply your skills in a variety of live situations, working with performers in a range of genres.
• 72 UCAS tariff points from either; • A levels and Welsh Bacc : DDD • BTEC L3 Extended Diploma: Merit, Merit, Pass; • BTEC L3 Diploma: Distinction • Plus, three GCSE’s to include Maths and English (or equivalent) Candidates without a level 3 Music Technology qualification are required to provide a portfolio. Mature applicants (aged 21+): If you do not hold the qualifications listed but have relevant work experience, you are welcome to apply. Your application will be considered on an individual basis. Level 5 (year 2) entry: To directly enter the second year of this course you will need to show appropriate knowledge and experience. For example, you are an ideal candidate if you have 120 undergraduate credits at Level 4 or a CertHE in a related subject area.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
Successful completion of the DipHE programme will precipitate entry to the level 6 BA (Hons) Electronic Music Production Programme delivered at CAVC.
Need to know