About this course
Our VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing is aimed at learners who are in a full-time Level 2 education programme and wish to pursue a career as an employed and/or self-employed junior hairdresser/stylist. This qualification forms part of the intermediate hairdressing apprenticeship framework which is delivered in the workplace, and is based on the national occupational standards for hairdressing. Studying in the colleges dedicated facilities, this course covers all the required elements to work effectively as a junior hairdresser/stylist.
Learners must achieve all mandatory units which include:
- Advising and consulting with clients
- Setting and dressing hair
- Styling and finishing hair
- Developing and maintaining your effectiveness at work
- Cutting hair using basic techniques
- Colouring and lightening hair
- Shampooing, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp
What you will study
Throughout this qualification, learners will develop their knowledge and understanding of relevant anatomy and physiology and health and safety. They will also develop the knowledge, understanding and skills to advise and consult with clients and then provide a complete hairdressing service which includes:
- Shampooing and conditioning
- Setting and dressing
- Styling and finishing hair
In parallel, learners will develop their communication and customer service skills, their awareness of environmental sustainability and their commercial skills, all of which are valued highly by employers. Problem solving and research skills will also be enhanced.
In addition to completing mandatory units, learners are required to achieve nine credits from optional units which include (this list is not exhaustive):
- Removing hair extensions
- Relaxing hair
- Perming and neutralising hair
- Plaiting and twisting hair
- Temporarily attaching hair to enhance a style
Students will also study:
- ESW qualifications at Level 1 or above (depending on prior qualifications), including Application of Number and Communications
- GCSE Numeracy / GCSE English (depending on prior achievement & skills)
- Work experience activities
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
Interview and satisfactory reference from Course Tutor indicating good behaviour, satisfactory attendance and progress. Prior Learning and work experience will also be considered.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment and practical assessments including exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
My best days at college are when we get to learn new techniques, which keep us up to date with hairdressing industry. The tutors are really lovely and supportive and they help you as much as they can.
Need to know