About this course
Our VTCT Level 2 VRQ Diploma in Hairdressing (QCF) course is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self employed junior hairdresser/stylist. Located at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this qualification is based on the Level 2 Hairdressing National Occupational Standards (NOS), and is recognised by the UK's lead hairdressing professional association (The Hairdressing Council) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career in the sector. Studying in the colleges fantastic facilities (including our vast commercial hairdressing salons), this programmes is structured to provide learners with the flexibility to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills required for their designated career pathway as a junior hairdresser/stylist.
What you will study
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a junior hairdresser/stylist:
- Health & safety
- Client consultation
- Shampooing and conditioning hair
- Blow-drying and setting
- Gents cutting unit
These units are all mandatory.
Learners will also develop their understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units including:
- Plaiting and twisting hair
- Reception duties
- Promoting products and services to clients
Additional areas that are covered include Essential Skills in Literacy and Numeracy.
Students will be required to undertake a work placement as part of their full time qualification, as well as have the opportunity to work within a busy commercial environment in order to develop their vocational skills and competence.
3 GCSEs Grades A* - D including English Language (or equivalent). Satisfactory reference from Course Tutor. Alternatively, successful achievement of Level 1 and satisfactory reference. Satisfactory reference from School or College to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments practical assessments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Retail Skills & Hairdressing Services
My best days at college are when we get to learn new techniques, which keep us up to date with hairdressing industry. The tutors are really lovely and supportive and they help you as much as they can.
Need to know