About this course
VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Hair and Beauty Skills (VRQ) will enable learners to develop hair and beauty skills, techniques and knowledge, which will prepare them to progress onto the next level of vocational learning.
All the units in this qualification directly prepare learners for further study in the hair and beauty sector.
All units in this qualification have been designed as a foundation for further study both in the hair and beauty sector.
Learners will develop knowledge of the hair and beauty sector and use this as a basis for further learning at Level 2, as a full time or part time learner.
*Students are required to purchase kit and uniform before the start of the course. Information on this will be given out during interview/enrolment.
What you will study
- Create an Image based on a Theme
- Shampooing & Conditioning
- Plaiting & twisting
- Blow drying
- Semi-permanent hair colour
- Basic cutting
- Manicure & Pedicure
- Nail art
- Face painting
- Photographic makeup
Other mandatory additional areas that are covered include Essential Skills in:
- Digital Literacy
Students are also required to complete one Welsh unit.
Students will undertake a work placement as part of their full-time qualification, as well as attend Saturdays on a rota basis in the colleges Urbasba salon, in order to develop their vocational skills and competence.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grades A* - D including English Language (or equivalent). Satisfactory reference from Course Tutor. Alternatively, successful achievement of Level 1 and satisfactory reference. Satisfactory reference from School or College to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
Knowledge and understanding of the Hair & Beauty units will be collected in a portfolio of evidence.
Guidance for this will come from your assessor.
Your assessor will also ask questions to confirm your knowledge and understanding.
Your assessor will also observe your practical performance in each assessment area.
Your grade will be determined by achievement of assessment criteria and achievement of additional performance standards.
All hair and beauty assessments will be carried out on models or mannequins.
Essential skills and Welsh assessments will be written/oral, group and computer based.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
"l enjoy my course because it’s an actual real-life salon so there is real work experience and there are plenty of great facilities here."
Career prospects & further study
Learners can progress on to:
- NVQ Level 2 Barbering
- NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing
- NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy
Employment as a Level 2 apprentice in the industry.
Need to know