About this course
This course is designed for 16-19-year olds who have no experience, and also for school leavers who have studied the Hairdressing Certificate at school and want to progress onto the diploma and into the hairdressing industry.
This programme is structured to provide learners with the flexibility to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills required to progress onto a Level 2 qualification in Hair and/or Beauty.
Includes: NVQ LV1 Certificate in Hairdressing and Barbering (601/5885/2) + Manicure and Pedicure NVQ Level 2 Certificate in Nail Treatments (500/8915/8).
This qualification will develop learner’s skills in:
- shampooing and conditioning
- blow drying
- removing various types of colour
- plaiting and twisting
As well as ensuring responsibility to reduce risks to health and safety, prepare for hair services and maintain work areas.
Students will also have the opportunity to undertake Work placement in a busy working Salon/Spa to enhance their skills. This is a requirement of the Fulltime course. Students will be required to work Saturdays on a rota basis.
What you will study
Students will be supervised by technical staff and assessed on their competence through a number of methods including practical competence and a portfolio of evidence. Pupils will also complete external exams and Essential Skills portfolios.
Additional areas that will be covered include:
- ESW Literacy & Numeracy
- Employability and Digital Literacy
Learners will have the opportunity to work within a busy commercial environment in order to develop their vocational skills and competence.
On full completion of the course progression will be available onto our level 2 hairdressing or beauty therapy courses, or our level 2 theatrical makeup course.
Students will be required to work on a rota basis 4 Saturdays at the Cardiff campus, plus work experience one day a week over the academic year.
There is also a Salon fee of £30 and purchase of a hairdressing kit (approx. £275.00) and a beauty kit (approx. £93.00). Along with a uniform (approx. £60.00).
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Salon Fees: £15.00
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs Grades D-F. Alternatively, applicants will be considered based on interview and a satisfactory skills scan, with a desire and commitment to complete the course they would wish to study.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment including practical assessments and exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
"l enjoy my course because it’s an actual real-life salon so there is real work experience and there are plenty of great facilities here."
Career prospects & further study
The course works towards Level 2 enabling students to gain a Level 2 qualification the following year.
Need to know