About this course
This is a substantial vocational qualification for learners seeking a career as an employed and/or self-employed junior barber. This qualification is based on the Level 2 Barbering National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the UK's leading professional association (The British Barbering Association - BBA) as being fit for purpose for preparing learners for a career as a junior barber.
All learners will be required to always wear full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) whilst in the salons and clinic. Full uniform, to be purchased by learner. This includes tunic, trousers and flat enclosed shoes.
The following will be supplied by college:
- Face Mask
- Plastic Apron
- Surgical Gloves
What you will study
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a junior barber including:
• Reception Duties
• Health and safety
• Client consultation
• Shampooing and conditioning hair
• Basic hair cuts
• Blow dry and finishing
• Cutting facial hair to shape.
• Develop and Maintain your effectiveness at work
These units are all mandatory.
Learners will also develop their understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional specialist units which include:
• Assist with Shaving
• Creating basic patterns
• Reception Duties
The full list of optional units is presented in the learner Record of Assessment book (RoA).
This qualification's structure provides learners with the flexibility to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills depending upon their designated career pathway as a junior barber.
On this course you will be working on developing your Wales Essential Skills (West).
Learners will also be expected to promote the Welsh language by working towards Cymraeg Gwaith.
Additional costs for uniform and full barbering kit to be confirmed at enrolment.
You will be responsible for bringing in your own models for practical assessments.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
Entry onto this qualification can be via previous attainment of a Level 1 qualification in hairdressing/barbering or you must have the minimum of 3 GCSE’s of grades A*-D in Maths and English or Welsh, or have an equivalent qualification at level 2. You will also need to complete a successful interview and undertake an initial assessment.
Teaching and assessment
2 Written Exams: Shampoo and Conditioning Consultation
Learners will also be responsible for bringing in their own models as a client base in order to complete their assessments. Each Learner will need to purchase an additional full barber kit, as well as the personal protective equipment at the start of the course. More information will be given on the interview days. And full kit list will be made available to purchase separately.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
Can go out into the work field. Or progress onto a Level 2 hairdressing course.
Need to know