About this course
This is a one-year course and should be taken alongside two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate. It may be possible to take this course as a part-time student.
A2 level Further Mathematics is a good choice because of the flexibility that it provides:
- It supports other subjects such as all three sciences, Psychology, Information Technology and many others.
- It is recommended that any student wanting to go onto University to study a STEM subject (especially mathematics or engineering) should study further mathematics.
- It develops your ability to think logically and present formal arguments, which is essential in any career.
- It is a challenging qualification, welcomed by all universities, whichever degree course you apply to study.
- Each unit will be examined with the aid of a calculator
What you will study
After studying units 1, 2 and 3 at AS, at A2 students must take a further 2 units - Unit 4 and either Unit 5 or Unit 6.
A2 Unit 4: Further Pure Mathematics B
- Written examination: 2 hours 30 min; 35% of qualification
- The exam comprise a number of short and longer, both structured and unstructured questions, which may be set on any part of the subject content of the unit. A number of questions will assess learners' understanding of more than one topic from the subject content.
A2 Unit 5: Further Statistics B or A2 Unit 6: Further Mechanics B
- Written examination: 1 hour 45 mins; 25% of qualification
To access full details about the specifications (maths and further maths) please use the following link: http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/mathematics/r-mathematics-gce-2017/
Teaching and assessment
- Two exams
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know