About this course
Designed with computer games experts, this course provides specialist education to help you succeed in this expanding industry. With expectations for realistic and imaginative graphics and play increasing, you’ll learn how to bring your ideas to life to create the next generation of computer games. As well as gaining technical knowledge, you’ll develop your creative flair and professional skills for employment.
First year modules include:
- Drawing and Movement for Games
- Making Games
- Study Skills
- Introduction to Game Art
- Game Studies: Rules and Play
- Creative Industries Practical Project (Live Brief with USW)
You will have access to powerful PC's, GTX Graphics Cards and 28" 4K monitors along with Industry standard software; Adobe Master Suit, Autodesk 3DSMax, Maya, Unreal Engine 4, Cinema 4D, GameMaker2 and Zbrush, to produce your Game Art & Designs. (Further software available on request.)
Second year modules include:
- Game Assets
- Game Engine
- Game Studies: Digital Video Game Culture
- Career Development
- Short Creative Industries Placement (Live Brief with USW)
The course is suited to a range of students with an interest in Game Design including; Game programmers who will have access and support in GML and UE4 Blueprints, and Game artists accessing an array of 2D and 3D specialist software, graphics tablets and 3D printers Level design, story development and animation are also areas that can be explored during the course.
This course is delivered at Cardiff Arts Academy which is situated a short walk from City Centre campus.
How to Apply: You apply for this course via UCAS. The ‘Apply Now’ button will take you to the UCAS course page.
You will need the following details:
Course Code – CR03, Institution Code – C16, Campus Code - a, Campus Name – City Centre Campus
For further information visit Completing your UCAS application.
What you will study
You’ll explore the background of gaming and the game creation process, studying different areas such as asset production, game mechanics, aesthetics and engines. Modules will include: Introduction to Game Art, Game Studies: Rules and Play, Drawing and Movement for Games, Making Games, Assets and Game Engine. You’ll also have the opportunity to gain experience through a work placement or industry simulation project, developing your skills working with clients and businesses.
As well as practical classes and workshops, you’ll attend lectures that examine topics such as digital game culture. There will be guest lectures from industry professionals plus engagement with employers. The work placement option provides an opportunity to further develop your skills for industry and enhance your employability.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £7,500.00
Applications to the course will be considered on an individual basis.
Typical entry requirements are detailed below but if you don’t meet these criteria, then your work and life experience will be taken into consideration.
Combinations of the qualifications below are acceptable and other qualifications not listed may also be accepted on an individual basis.
Typical A-Level Offer: DD
Typical BTEC Offer: relevant BTEC level 3 profile of Merit/Pass or Pass/Pass/Pass
Typical Welsh Bacc Offer: Grade C and DE at A Level
Typical Access to HE Offer: Pass Diploma with 60 credits overall to include 45 level 3 credits all passes.
Additionally, GCSE passes in three subjects at grade C or above to include Mathematics and English Language (or equivalent).
A successful interview may also be a requirement for entry onto the course
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments practical
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto the final year of the University of South Wales’s BA (Hons) Game Art or BA (Hons) Computer Games Design, where they’ll have the opportunity to further advanced their skills in a specific area.
Need to know