About this course
GCSE English Language evening classes (17.45 to 20.45) are available on any of the following days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday at the following sites - City Centre Campus and Colcot Road.
You will be using and improving the four language skills of Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. You will read, discuss and write about many different kinds of writing: some will be fiction (stories and extracts from novels), some will be non-fiction (articles, leaflets, advertisements and extracts from biographies and non-fiction writing), and you will practise different kinds of writing for yourself.
What you will study
Oral Work: Your tutor will be working with you to develop your speaking and listening skills throughout the course, in formal and informal situations. You will be required to deliver a presentation or talk and to participate in group discussions.
Reading and Writing: During the course you will be expected to read and write on your own in preparation for work in class. You will develop your ability to write for a range of purposes and audiences.
What about Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation? Half of the allocated marks are attached to sentence structure, spelling, grammar and punctuation, so you will work towards improving those. Your tutor will help you and you can also use the support available in the drop-in Learning and Skills Centres.
Homework will be set regularly.
Assessment is by a combination of controlled assessment and examination. During the course you will build up a file of two substantial written pieces of coursework and at least two oral assessments. Each of these two components is worth 20% of the final mark, making a total of 40%. The two examinations at the end of the course are worth 30% each.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £35.00
Course Fee: £375.00
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Need to know