About this course
Are you a budding musician, keen to pursue a career in the music industry? If so, our Level 2 Diploma for Music Practitioners is a great place to start. Aimed at musicians and producers wishing to gain a further understanding of the sector, this course will develop the fundamental skills and knowledge required to be successful in the industry. Taught at our City Centre Campus, this programme offers learners a taste of both Music Performance and Music Technology, covering a range of units at our state of the arts facilities. Students can expect to gain knowledge and develop skills in a number of key areas including:
- Studio Recording
- Event Planning & Promotion
- Live Performance
- Music Composition
Whilst the course is full time, students are only required to be in 2 days of the week. The timetable is currently spread across a Tuesday & Thursday. The programme is often seen as a pre-requisite to the BTEC Level 3 courses currently available, and gives students the prior knowledge needed in order to make an informed decision on their next step. Many students go on to study one of the following courses:
- BTEC Level 3 Popular Music
- BTEC Level 3 Music Technology
What you will study
Live Music Performance & Instrument Study
These units focus on live performance & instrument development– students will work towards a number of events across the academic year. This could include solo performances and/or performing as part of a band/group. Learners will also get the opportunity to develop themselves on their individual instrument(s).
Using a Keyboard with a DAW & Composing Music
These units focus on students developing their skills with Virtual Instruments. Using individual Digital Audio Workstations such as Cubase, pupils will learn the skills and techniques needed to create and compose their own music.
Digital Recording, Production & Live Sound Recording
These units are based in the Recording Studio. Students will learn the techniques involved in carrying out their own professional studio recording and live recordings. Using our state-of-the-art recording facilities, they will study a number of practical based units, learning about microphone choices, techniques and other important recording equipment.
Organising, marketing & promoting a Music Event
It is vital that students gain knowledge of how to organise and promote a Music Event. They will organise their own events throughout the year, looking at marketing & promotion techniques and all the planning elements involved in running a successful event.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
4 GCSEs A* - D including English Language or Maths or a Level 1 qualification in this area. You must attend an interview. You must resit GCSE English Language or Maths if Grade D or less. Music students will be expected to undertake an audition.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessments including practical and written assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I love that college wasn't too laid back but not too serious. I was looking forward to coming into college no matter how early I had to wake up. I just want to keep learning.
Need to know