About this course
The Foundation in Construction and the Built Environment provides a broad introduction to construction and the built environment. It has been developed for individuals intending to work, in the sectors.
It is aimed at learners in work-based learning, further education, and school 6th forms. This qualification will enable learners to go on to study a range of other construction and BSE courses relevant to their trade interest area.
What you will study
All learners will complete core units which supports learners to develop an introductory knowledge and understanding of:
- an introduction to the construction and built environment sectors
- the built environment life cycle, the job roles within it, and the dependencies between people performing those roles
- how to promote and sustain health and safety for oneself and others; and
- employability skills relevant to future work.
In addition to these ‘core’ units, learners will study two trade pathways and spend time learning skills which will include planning, performing, and evaluating common tasks.
Carpentry: This part of the course will show you how to practice and develop key carpentry and joinery skills by using hand and power tools. Learners will also gain an understanding of the role, tools, materials, and equipment used when performing wood working tasks.
Painting and Decorating: This part of the course will show you how to prepare bare and previously painted surfaces and applying water-based and solvent-based coatings by brush and roller to non-complex areas. Included within the unit will be how to use access equipment and working platforms to carry out these tasks.
You will study in our dedicated construction centres and facilities. These include classrooms for theory and huge trade-specific workshops where you develop your practical skills each week using industry standard tools and equipment.
Your course assessment comprises of set assignments that are used to gauge your skills development and end of year assessment, including practical skills tests and online exams.
Additionally learners are required to have their own safety boots before starting the course. The boots can be bought from any retailer.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs Grades A* - C. Alternatively completed a construction multi skills course.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
As soon as I knew there was a link to come here I was excited, and the school link programme provided me with an opportunity to see what it would be like to study here. The College gives you a lot of information on why you need to get your NVQ, and get an apprenticeship to get into full-time employment.
Career prospects & further study
On completion of this course you can choose your desired trade and progress onto a higher-level course or apprenticeship.
Need to know