About this course
This course will enable you to gain the basic skills in carpentry. The course is specifically targeted for learners with little or no experience.
You will follow a programme of study that will give you the opportunity to apply learning in a practical and realistic way and gain confidence by developing independent learning skills.
What you will study
Key components of the course will be; health & safety, handling and storage of resources, you will produce basic woodworking joints, maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools and prepare and use portable power tools. You will learn the practical skills and gain theoretical knowledge and understanding of this trade, it will enable you to get the skills to go onto the progression routes at trade specific levels.
Additionally learners are required to have their own safety boots before starting the course. The boots can be bought from any retailer.
Course fee per year
Part-time enrolment fee: £30.00
No experience in construction is required, we will gauge your enthusiasm and commitment at interview stage
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Career prospects & further study
This course enables progression to further courses and employment within the construction industry.
Potential progression from this course will be onto FT mainstream or apprenticeship programs.
Need to know