About this course
The Civil Engineering pathway of the HNC in Construction and the Built Environment will give you a high-level understanding of the design, function, construction and essential requirements for buildings and structures of all classes.
The Higher National Certificate is highly regarded qualification in the construction sector. The Civil Engineering pathway is designed to ensure you are highly employable and a valuable addition to organisations within the industry. The areas you will study include all the subjects necessary to meet the expectations of employers, preparing you for a career in this challenging and rewarding sector.
The course is designed to enhance your work-based skills with the view of working towards a Senior Technician position.
You’ll develop an appreciation of engineering principles, IT and personal skills, and the ability to apply them through the medium of design and project work.
What you will study
You will study the following modules on this course:
- Unit 1 Individual Project (set by awarding organisation)
- Unit 2 Construction Technology
- Unit 3 Science and Materials
- Unit 4 Construction Practice and Management
- Unit 8 Mathematics for Construction
- Unit 6 Construction Information (Drawings & Specifications)
- Unit 16 Principles of Alternative Energy
- Unit 20 Principles of Structural Design
The programme will be taught using a combination of lectures, guest speakers and tutorials. The programme will be assessed using a combination of assignments, practical assessment and examinations.
Course fee per year
Tuition Fees: £1,920.00
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know