About this course
Our 1 year bakery programme is the perfect course for those individuals considering further learning and progression in bakery training and education, and will provide a foundation for a career in the bakery industry. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this qualification will develop the knowledge and practical skills in bread and confectionery, that will be required to work in the college's bakery. Training alongside industry professionals, students will learn in top class facilities, including huge training kitchens, butchery's, bakery's and our landmark city centre restaurant 'The Classroom'. This programme offers pupils the opportunity to develop intermediate practical skills and knowledge in a wide range of bakery manufacturing techniques.
Must be able to work early mornings in our in-house bakery, do event work with level three bakery students and enter competitions.
What you will study
For a full Level 2 Diploma in Professional Bakery (QCF), students will have to successfully complete 57 credits. Units include modules such as:
- Chocolate & sugar work
- Continental breads
- Danish pastries
- Celebration cakes
- Flower making
Pupils will also be expected to show that they can work alone and as part of a team. There may be an opportunity for learners to visit trade shows such as Hotelympia and different relevant establishments. The diploma course is assessed through short answer questions, practical assessments and external assessed assignments.
4 GCSEs Grades A* - D including English Language (or equivalent). Satisfactory reference from Course Tutor. Alternatively, successful achievement of Level 1 and satisfactory reference. Satisfactory reference from School or College to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
- Written exam and practical exams and coursework assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
The course has opened loads of opportunities for me – I got to the semi-finals of the Nestle Torgue d’Or and won in Skills Competition Wales and will compete in WorldSkills UK. This course has made me really excited for my future.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Bakery. Many students also pursue various employment opportunities within the industry.
Need to know